Fall is traditionally a time of harvest-- a time of reaping the last bits of abundance from summer gardens and getting together around big tables for feasts with families and communities. At Groceryships, it's no different. We are beginning the busy fall season by celebrating the graduation of three groups, and launching several more right on their heels.
Curious to see what our groups cooked up last week?
With more groups than ever before, the kitchen at Groceryships has been humming with activity. Last week, our group leaders tried a new recipe, perfect for fall: Stuffed Bell Peppers with Quinoa and Veggies.
These peppers embody the true spirit of the season! Stuffed to the brim with fresh vegetables and grains, they are simple, beautiful and bountiful.
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 4 whole bell peppers
- 2 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion (white) peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Make 1 cup quinoa according to package instructions. Once it's cooked, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut just the top off of each pepper, and set aside. Remove the seeds.
- In a large pot, place a steamer basket and enough water to fill just below the bottom of the steamer.
- Arrange the four bell peppers and their tops inside the steamer basket. Cook, covered, over high heat until just tender (about 6 – 8 minutes).
- Remove the lid and remove from the heat to ensure they stop cooking.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil and add the onion. Cook about 5 minutes until transparent. Add the garlic and cook one minute more.
- Add the tomatoes, carrot, zucchini and spinach. Cover and cook 3 – 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the cover and cook for one minute more, or until any extra liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the tops of the bell peppers, and add to the mixed vegetables. Then, mix the cooked vegetables with the quinoa. Add the parsley and toss to combine.
- Fill the bell peppers with the vegetable and quinoa mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!