Groceryships is excited to be partnering with Farm Fresh to You (www.farmfreshtoyou.com), an incredible company that provides the freshest, organic local produce direct to your door. This week's farm box included ripe heirloom tomatoes and crisp cucumbers. After taking home this week's bounty, one of our members couldn't wait to get cooking. The next day, she shared with us this simple salad.
It's been hot in Los Angeles, so our groups have been focusing on fast and refreshing summer fare like our Kale Ceviche salad. A mix of bright citrus, buttery avocado, and protein-rich hummus is combined to create a light but filling salad. Here, the daughter of one of our Groceryships Ambassadors demonstrates how to "massage" the kale, softening some of this super-green's tough exterior.
Because kale is such a sturdy green, it holds up well in the refrigerator. So, make a little extra, and take the leftovers to work tomorrow.
Kale Ceviche Salad
(Adapted From Engine2Diet.com)
- 1 bunch Kale, stripped and chopped
- 1 large (or 2 small) avocados OR 1/4 cup oil free hummus
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon, red chili flakes
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
- ½ purple onion, diced
- 11 oz. mandarin oranges (about 3 oranges)
- Throw stripped and chopped Kale leaves in a large bowl with avocado, lemon juice, salt, and red chili flakes
- Mash and massage the avocado (or hummus) into the Kale with your hands until the avocado is spread evenly -like a dressing- throughout the Kale
- Stir in red bell pepper, carrot, purple onion, and mandarin oranges
- If you can, let the salad sit for 30 minutes before serving, if not, dive in!