Stumped on what goes into a perfectly yummy green smoothie even your picky kids will love? In a special class hosted by our partners at Vitamix for Groceryships members, Wendy Manfredi showed us how easy it is to do just that!
Instead of those salty or sugary bad-for-you snacks, a cold, delicious smoothie is a wonderful after-school treat to serve your kids. But how can we whip up a variety of simple, healthy and tasty smoothies that even the pickiest of children will love? And how can we stray from the ordinary "strawberry-and-banana" variety to a flavor that's different, exciting and a cinch to make?
To answer that question for our moms at Groceryships, Wendy Manfredi from Vitamix shared with us the Vitamix & Match method for making a perfect green smoothie every single time.
The Vitamix & Match method lets you choose an ingredient from three different categories to make a smoothie. Category A has green leafy veggies such as kale, spinach, etc. Category B has fruits and sweeter veggies including apple, mango, carrots and celery. Category C has protein and liquids such as yogurt, soy milk, fruit juice and water.
Pick one item from each category, add one cup of ice, then place all ingredients into the Vitamix container or blender, secure the lid, blend until smooth (approx. 45 seconds at high speed), and... Voila! A refreshing, healthy twist on your usual smoothie routine.
With the Vitamix & Match method, you can bet you'll have your most finicky eaters drinking their daily serving of healthy veggies--and maybe even asking for seconds.
Ready to put one to the test? Here's an easy recipe to get started.
It's Easy Being Green Smoothie
Serving size: 8 cups
(Recipe can be reduced by half and made in smaller containers.)
- 1 cup grapes--red or green
- 1 medium orange, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks, core included
- 1 medium banana, peeled
- 1 carrot, halved
- 2 cups fresh spinach, washed
- 1 medium apple, quartered
- 6 cups ice cubes
1. Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid.
2. Select variable 1. (If using a different blender other than Vitamix, start at the lowest setting.)
3. Turn machine on and quickly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High. (If using a different blender, gradually increase speed till it reaches the highest speed.)
4. Blend for 1 minute or until desired consistency is reached.
5. Pour into a tall glass--and Enjoy!