We are excited to announce the launch of three new Groceryships groups taking place in South LA! Even better-- each group is led by a health coach and a Groceryships Graduate. Take a look at what they're cooking up!
Thanks to our partnership with LA's Promise, and the efforts of our recent graduates, Dorcia Whitebrake, Yolo Correra, and Ana Guzman, three new groups began on April 13th.
Dorcia, Yolo and Ana are the first of our grads to step into the role of Groceryships Ambassador, leading the cooking demonstrations during our weekly meetings, and sharing their experiences as members of the group.
Last week, Yolo made a delicious version of our Eggplant Stew-- many of the new members had never eaten eggplant before. Yolo assured them, "it takes more than 9 times to develop a taste for a new food. Even if you don't like it now, keep trying. Your tastebuds will learn to like it in time."
Dorcia shared a quick tip for cutting herbs used in a chickpea salad. Use kitchen shears! "Fast food," she said, "is food I can make quickly at home."
Want to taste the Eggplant Stew yourself? Follow this simple recipe at home:
- 2 medium purple eggplants (peel if desired)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp: dried oregano, cumin, onion & garlic powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (acid of choice)
- Cut eggplants into 1-inch cubes (peel first, if desired).
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and garlic. Stir and be careful not to burn garlic.
- Add cut eggplant to the pan and cook on medium heat covered, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes, until eggplant is tender.
- Add tomato paste and mix in well.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, seasonings, salt, pepper, broth (or water) and vinegar.
- Cover and cook for about 10-15 additional minutes until it thickens and vegetables are soft.
- Adjust seasoning, if needed and serve hot!
- Serve over cooked quinoa, brown rice or baked potato.