Development and Communication Associate
Groceryships’, a 501c3 organization based in Los Angeles, is seeking a highly collaborative Development and Communications professional to join us as we embark on the next exciting phase of our growth. Our mission is to promote health and wellness through the power of healthy foods and human connection, with a focus on under-resourced communities in South LA, and soon across the country.
Our vision is to live in a world where every individual and family has equal access to the conditions that create health and wellness. Research shows that wellness has three main ingredients – whole foods, whole people and whole communities. Unfortunately, today we are living in a broken food system where many families lack access to fresh, affordable and healthy foods. Social isolation is also rampant, with many feeling cut off from community or isolated from strong social ties. To address these issues, Groceryships has created a holistic program combining practical skills like nutrition education and healthy cooking with a support-group structure that builds deep bonds of friendship and social connection.
Fundraising and communications are both critical to our success, and the Development and Communications Associate will play a key role in developing engaging communications to ensure the realization of our mission and impact.
Reporting to the Executive Director and the Board Fundraising Committee, the Development and Communications Associate will raise funds for annual operations and a national expansion. This is a new role for the organization and an exciting opportunity for the right individual to be entrepreneurial and creative. We offer a supportive environment where results are the focus (ROWE), not hours in the office.
- Provide input on communication strategy to maximize donor connection and engagement.
- Create mission-focused content, including story-gathering, writing, and editing work by others.
- Develop all significant printed materials, including annual report and magazine.
- Produce blog posts and press releases for website and e-blasts.
- Collaborate with team to develop materials that strengthen donor connection to the organization at events and other venues
- Determine effectiveness of communications through analytics.
- Manage vendor relationships for design, printing, mailing and web development.
- Help as needed with other elements of development operations.
- Develop and manage the Development/Communications and Grants yearly calendars.
- Be main facilitator for communication with funding partners, including reviewing grant applications, developing compelling “thank you” letters and letters-of-intent (LOIs).
We seek a professional with 2-4 years’ experience in communications, fundraising or related field. A successful candidate will have:
- B.A. or equivalent degree.
- An ability to independently manage and complete projects on schedule.
- Superior written communication skills.
- An ability to identify and tell compelling stories.
- Graphic design/marketing experience a plus.
- Strong attention to detail.
- An ability to work well with a team.
- An interest in communications as a tool to influence fundraising.
- Experience using data to measure effectiveness and guide decisions.
- An ethical, principled, professional temperament with a strong work ethic, high standards for quality, and a strong commitment to Groceryships’ mission.
- Groceryships offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and examples of past work to Dana Rizer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference the position title “Development and Communications Associate” in the subject line.